Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Haunted Motherboard?  (Read 1741 times)

videohead

Haunted Motherboard?
« on: April 01, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »
I could really use some help…

I’m trying to re-build my old computer with a new…
Intel D955XBK I955X Socket 775 ATX Motherboard
Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz 800MHz 2MB processor         
Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-400 400 Watt Power
1GIG DDR2 RAM
Nvydia 64mb Graphics card
(The case; hard drives & optical drives are all parts from my old setup.)
The only thing that I currently connected to the MOBO is the power source; the processor; the fan; the RAM and the video card (NONE of the drives are in any way connected) and I have already tried to clear the CMOS.

The problem I’ve been suffering through is that- First, the only way that I can get it to power on is by removing the onboard “coin” size battery-then keeping it out for a few seconds-then after reinstalling it-turning the power on, and BINGO it turns on!

Second, when I try to finally get in and adjust the settings in the BIOS it locks up and would not allow me to go any further than a “tab” two to the MAINTAINANCE or the to the MAIN-(when I got it to tab to the MAIN it showed that it recognized the type of primary parts of my computer…MOBO; Processor; RAM). Then after about 90 seconds the system just shut down. I went through the removing the battery thing and got it going again, only to have it shut down again and again…

Please help!!!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Haunted Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:43:52 AM »
Did you use the standoffs for the MBoard when assembling ? ?
Did you remember to use thermal compound when assembling the CPU ? ?
Have you properly hooked up the mini wires to Header 1 which controls all the case switches ? ?

Is this a new PSU or a used one ? ?

On a new build you shouldn't be fooling with the BIOS at this time....use the default settings until you are up and running.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "