Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DEP  (Read 3409 times)

Raptor

DEP
« on: November 02, 2004, 03:08:11 PM »
Who of you make use of DEP (Hardware or software-wise)

(Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Performance -> (DEP) tab.)

MalikTous

Re: DEP
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 11:52:28 PM »
Must be an XP thing, it's not in Win98.

I use the swap file settings in the Performance tab, set to min 2.5 times RAM and max to 4 times RAM (or more), and I move the swap file to somewhere other than the boot partition. I turn the graphics acceleration down to prevent a BBS I'm on (GAIA...) from crashing the machine all the time. I do a bunch of other minor tweaks.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 01:27:49 AM »
You are correct, it is a Windows XP feature. I believe it was introduced with SP2. Also, AMD is the only one to have that feature hardware wise.

I turn the graphics acceleration down to prevent a BBS I'm on (GAIA...)

Could you explain that..?

MalikTous

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 03:28:14 PM »
I turn the graphics acceleration down to prevent a BBS I'm on (GAIA) from crashing...

Could you explain that..?

That BBS tends to cause sporadic spontaneous restarts while posting replies if the graphics accelerator is on. It's probably some weird IE-specific code glitch, I figure...

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 05:06:34 PM »
You are correct, it is a Windows XP feature. I believe it was introduced with SP2. Also, AMD is the only one to have that feature hardware wise...

Something new in SP2.  There's a help-link: How does it work? on the DEP window.  Just another hidden security feature, sure to be compromised by hackers.

I don't understand this:  "...If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, it's a good idea to upgrade to a processor that offers execution protection features."  Since when does MS promote AMD?  I thought they were solidly behind Intel.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 11:00:26 PM »
AMD's getting cheaper.

Mac

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 02:25:49 AM »
Who of you make use of DEP (Hardware or software-wise)

(Right click My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Performance -> (DEP) tab.)

Data Execution Prevention? Yes I do. If you want to know more just open the Help & Support and type DEP.

XP will take up to 4 x 1024Mb of RAM for those struggling with '98/MEs and 512Mb. (Usually 1024Mb is adequate.)

But XP has much more in the way of system resources. Especially XP 64-Bit.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 04:44:59 AM »
Yes I do. If you want to know more just open the Help & Support and type DEP.

One of the services I disabeled.

I donot look to know more, I was merely curious.

XP will take up to 4 x 1024Mb of RAM for those struggling with '98/MEs and 512Mb. (Usually 1024Mb is adequate.)

But XP has much more in the way of system resources. Especially XP 64-Bit.

How is that related to DEP?

Mac

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 11:33:01 AM »
"XP will take up to 4 x 1024Mb of RAM for those struggling with '98/MEs and 512Mb. (Usually 1024Mb is adequate.)

But XP has much more in the way of system resources. Especially XP 64-Bit."

I was just comparing to MalikTous and '98