Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: All sorts of problems :(  (Read 1995 times)

Tophu

All sorts of problems :(
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »
Hey everyone,
Recently, my dell 5100 crapped out on me after a good 4 year run. I think it was the motherboard that blew out as it wouldnt turn on anymore. Anyway, I picked up a shuttle XPC barebone, and just salvaged parts from the dell. To my dismay, when I boot up the computer, it will automatically restart its self after the windows xp loading screen and before the windows log in screen. I thought it could be some corrupt files so I was going to try and reformat the harddrive, however now when I try to boot from cd, it says Verifying Pool Data - skips a line - Boot from CD: - but when i try to press anything on the keyboard to execute the command, nothing happens. Any idea whats wrong??

Any help is appreciated

AIM: sjabbs
email: [email protected]

joefido

Beginner

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: All sorts of problems :(
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40:48 AM »
    i take it that you just pulled the Hard Drive out and put it into the new shuttle? if its a different motherboard it wont boot because it will still be trying to load the drivers for that specific board :) so yes...your only real option is to do a repair install of windows :) this is done by booting from the disk...which you cant do :( so...did u change any jumpers? because I know on some motherboards there are jumpers u can change to disable the PS/2 ports and stuff...can you access the BIOS and move around?

If you do, by some miracle (perhaps try another keyboard?) get into XP setup, you want to skip the first screen untill it says scanning for previous versions of microsoft windows, and it should detect ur XP setup, and then just click r on the keyboard to start a repair install which will keep all your desktop setting and the like but set it up for the new motherboard :)

Goodluck!
    Kurtis