Windows ME

Started by looselucy, March 01, 2005, 02:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

looselucy

HELP!!!!! I am having a problem running an application using an electronic tachometer that downloads engine information to a pc using a serial cable.  This tachometer seems to work with a very old computer running Windows 95, and a new one using Windows XP SP3.  It does work with the computer using Windows Me, although the manufacturer of the tachometer feels it SHOULD work, he also says it might have something to do with 16 bit versus 32 bit words.  When I run the tachometer program with the Me computer, the graphs do not look the same as with the other two, and it also does not show two additional parcels of information that come.  Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Computer_Commando

Nothing works with WindowsME.  It's junk, worst OS MS ever released.

Flame

I agree! I had ME at one time, and it was a HORRIBLE experience! If you can upgrade to XP, then do it!

[glb]Flame[/glb]

merlin_2

As usual the fight go on ...winme is ok...four years of running it with no problems....some thinngs should be taken into account...is it the  operating system./user...or pc build..............getting back to your question what software is used...i get this this is a diagnostic program for engine management.........obd...is.....make sure you have the correct cable connection...for read-outs..maybe you need a software patch to run this program!!...and without winme...........no winxp...as people condemed win3.1... stand back for the winxp...

upgrade to longhorn...moaning about winxp..is it the user or the pc in question..? each to their own opinion... we let time this factor!!

looselucy

Yes, I am using a USB to serial converter, and the first one I used offered no data whatsoever, this one actually downloads the exact same size file as the two other computers, just displays the graph in a totally different layout, and only provides one of the items recorded.  I used BOTH the usb to serial converters with my desktop computer successfully.

merlin_2

Is this the program used>http://www.obdii.com/
what car is causing the problem....off topic..i know..but its chips again...is the tacho at fault?what rpm have you got on tick over..and what cc../fuel used.?

lucytisdale

I do not believe the tachometer to be at fault because the information downloads properly to both the very old Windows 98 and the new Windows XP computers.  The car in question is an 89 mustang, and it runs on gasoline with a peak RPM of about 7000.  The program runs with an Autometer Playback tachometer,  which gives readings for Engine RPM's, Driveshaft RPM's, and Engine to Driveshaft Ratio.  When I use the Windows Me machine, I get readings for only the Engine RPMs, in spite of the fact that my file is exactly the same size on all THREE computers.

Computer_Commando

Is this what you have?

http://hp.autometer.com/products/data_acquisition/playback_tach_features/playback_tach_features.html

http://hp.autometer.com/products/data_acquisition/tach_fact_software/tach_fact_software.html

I don't think it's WinME, but the computer that is running WinME.  If it runs on Win95 (or Win98) it will run on WinME.  I think it may be a problem with the computer's serial port.  File size is the same, but no data is being logged.  Can you copy the file to one of the other computers to see if the data is there?

Why are you using a USB to Serial Converter?

looselucy

Yes, that is the program I am using, with the Autometer Playback tachometer.  I am using the USB to serial converter because the computer with Windows ME is a newer laptop with no serial port, and the tachometer uses the nine pin connection.  As far as transferring the file to the other computers goes, I just now copied the file and I got bad data, but oddly enough, not the same data I see on the Windows Me machine.  And the crowd goes wild.................