What is the next step in computer security?

Started by Raptor, August 28, 2005, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raptor

I am very curious if someone could educate me on what the next step in computer security is for an amateur like me.

• Router (Hardware firewall)
  • Software firewall
  • Anti virus scanner
  • Anti spyware scanner
  • Disabling unnecessary and possibly dangerous Windows services
  • Using Mozilla Firefox, controling cookies and having Javascript disabled unless needed.
  • Using passwords in the form of 3 letters, 3 numbers and 3 letters.
  • Never acquiring spyware, viruses or anything related.
  • Having the latest definitions/updates installed.
  • Never accepting [strange] attachments

If you look at this, it all seems rather shallow and obvious. What am I missing? Should I go into more details regarding one of these subjects? Am I lacking? Am I too paranoid? What can use improvement?

Raptor

Fed

Read emails in plain text.
Don't use IM programs.

Raptor

1. Read emails in plain text.
2. Don't use IM programs.

1. Been there
2. And why is that?

Fed

If you don't know, then you better learn...  ;)

Raptor

QuoteIf you don't know, then you better learn...  ;)

Your logic is flawed. I created this thread to learn, I am learning if you provide me with the correct answers. However, since you were unable to and only stated the obvious I will simply assume that your knowledge is below that of mine.

Would you perhaps like a crash course in wittiysm and computer security, Fed? For you it's half price.

Fed

Google for +im +vulnerable
you will find what you seek there.
I hope this helps you.
What is wittiysm, I want some, where do I get it?

Raptor

QuoteWhat is wittiysm, I want some, where do I get it?

I think Joleen put copyright on that word.

I never discuss important details through Instant Messaging.

The essence of speaking lies in not speaking at all.

darthpaul

Raptor, although this has nothing to do with your problem i feel i must just make a small comment on your behalf. i have been using this forum only recently and several people have been of great help, even if only to hopelessness of a situation, including yourself and merlin2 for which iam sincerly thankfull( this is not an arse lick). unfortunately, i have noticed that there is a large number of  contributers who seem to miss the whole point of this forum experience and seem only to want to point out others ignorance in certain subjects. surely that is why we place posts, to assist others if we can, learn if we can, not massage our egos and placate our obvious insecurities and fed like holier than thou ids. if you cant make a positive comment, dont bother!

Flame

Darthpaul... My friend... I think it's only fair to warn you... I think typing that message was a mistake...  :o  Good luck friend... I knew thy well...  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

darthpaul

no offence was intended, and i hope none taken. i am using this forum to try and learn from people who obviously have more knowlegde than myself, and a lot has been learned already from all have posted on this thread, i shall now *censored* out

Raptor

QuoteDarthpaul... My friend... I think it's only fair to warn you... I think typing that message was a mistake...  :o  Good luck friend... I knew thy well...  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

I didn't know this place had turned into a dictator and censurship?

Flame

Sorry lol  Just a natural reaction lol

he'll threaten to come over to your house and kill you.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Raptor

Only if you do not support el presidente.   ;)

GX1_Man

QuoteI am very curious if someone could educate me on what the next step in computer security is for an amateur like me.

• Router (Hardware firewall)
  • Software firewall
  • Anti virus scanner
  • Anti spyware scanner
  • Disabling unnecessary and possibly dangerous Windows services
  • Using Mozilla Firefox, controling cookies and having Javascript disabled unless needed.
  • Using passwords in the form of 3 letters, 3 numbers and 3 letters.
  • Never acquiring spyware, viruses or anything related.
  • Having the latest definitions/updates installed.
  • Never accepting [strange] attachments
If you look at this, it all seems rather shallow and obvious. What am I missing? Should I go into more details regarding one of these subjects? Am I lacking? Am I too paranoid? What can use improvement?

How about using Linux for all of your Internet activities then? You won't have to worry about the first 4 for sure.

You also log in under a user account, not the "root" or Administrator account so system files would not be affected if something did happen.

You could even run it from a LiveCD so your hard drive would not be accessed. Heck you don't even need to have a hard drive installed in the machine!! When you reboot you start all brand new. No way to contaminate anything there.

You could set up your system as a dual boot, rather doing all one or the other. Linux for Intenet and learning. Windows for everything else until you find the Linux equivalents of the programs you use and your comfort level increases.

There are virus scanners for Linux, but those are not required except to keep from forwarding and passing along infected e-mail attachments to Windows users.

There is a solution for every level of paranoia.