Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't load ANY PAGES, can PING  (Read 7208 times)

robingel

can't load ANY PAGES, can PING
« on: July 15, 2004, 11:25:05 PM »
Hello .. I have a real problem with IE6SP1 on XP-Pro with current MS security updates; IE is unable to load anything other than the "can't load anything ... detect network settings ... contact network administrator ... check tools/ internet options/ advanced/ security/ use SSL 2.0, use SSL 3.0, use TLS 1.0 "

I've tried to remedy this ... with instructions from MS, theeldergeek.com, kellys-korner.com, the Microsoft MVPS site, and more

I am succesful at uninstalling IE and OE ...

Here's the failures ...  (this isn't the actual order I tried them)
-- unplugged the machine's network cable and plugged the phone line directly into the wall ...
-- the whole gamut of start/run/  commands to reset, dns, wintrust, softpub ... the repair utility ... etc
-- downloaded iefix.exe ... a ms tool
-- cleared the TCP/IP stack
-- removed all network clients, protocols, and services ... then re-installed them ...
-- removed all com ports and re-installed them (as outined at HP.com ... it's an HP Pre-load)
-- removed all ISP software
-- removed all internet connections (the ISP auto-cfg ones) then set up manual connection WITHOUT the MS ICF enabled
-- attempted to succeed at re-installing by changing the (correct) "IsInstalled" registry values from "1" to "0"
-- lowered EVERY SECURITY setting from within IE, tools/internet options/security/ ... internet, intranet, trusted, restricted ... to enable and allow anything and everything access to this machine
-- the dial-up numbers are correct ...
-- it's not behind a firewall ... all anti virus has been disabled ...
-- it's scanned after each failed attempt of using IE; with current versions of McAfee VirusScan, McAfee Stinger, and Norton too ...
-- I have even PAID Microsoft to send me the complete IE6 SP1 CD for network administrators ...

And all I can do is ping ... I'm guessing the inevitable ... re-install XP ... but I'm not believing that's really going to work without formatting ... Does anyone have suggestions ... am I missing something ...

Thanks in advance!!
Robin

merlin_2

Re: can't load ANY PAGES, can PING
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 07:09:33 PM »
was this an upgrade?or do you dual boot ..i would forget ie6 and go for firefox or avant browsers if this work my thoughts are ie6 should placed in the forget it bin for good..more holes than you would dream of?

2k dummy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 10:03:23 AM »
Check XP's built in firewall. The upgrade might have turned it on (but its not configured).

PCgeek8080

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 01:42:18 PM »
download a better browser like Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox!
even Netscape works better! ;D

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 05:49:27 PM »
try netstat in the c:\>

robingel

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 10:14:06 AM »
Sorry, I have been untimely at responding, but have had some family health emergencies

--Yes, it's an upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro
--No, it's not a dual boot
--No, MS Firewall is not enabled, we use McAfee Firewall but it is currently not enabled
--This is at work, and of course I use Mozilla at home ...   ::)

Interestingly enough, these are HP Pre-loads so here's what fixed it
--I F10 re-booted to restore the disk to its original out of box state, complete with junk

--I stripped the disk to OS, drivers, McAfee VirusScan & Firewall, and some utilites

--created c:\HP SaveC\ off the root of c:
--created c:\HP SaveD\ off the root of c:

--copied the entire c: drive into c:\HP SaveC\ and d: into c:\HP SaveD\

--created c:\WINPro

--Re-Installed XP Pro into c:\WINPro\

--Upon re-boot, as expected, it displayed the "dual boot menu" with choices being "... XP Home" and "... XP Professional"

--Selected XP Home
--Now, there are 2 sets of users in C:\Documents and Settings\
--1st Set is for XP Home .... owner, default, all users etc
--2nd Set is for XP Pro  .... owner.A1MAIN, default.A1MAIN, etc
--A1MAIN=machine name

--Copied c:\Documents and Settings\default.A1MAIN\*.* to C:\Documents and Settings\default\*.* overwriting all, continued this for each directory in docs and settings, then renamed *.A1MAIN to *.Pro (this was time consuming)
--Copied c:\WINPro\*.* into C:\windows\*.* overwriting only drivers
--Deleted c:\WINPro

--Re-Booted and again there was a "dual boot menu" selected XP Pro
--Back to C:\Documents and Settings ... deleting and renaming

--Edited boot.ini by 1st deleting all references to XP Pro then changing all "XP Home" text to "XP Pro"
--Ran some registry utilities and did some manual editing removing "XP Home" text

--Back to C:\Documents and Settings ... deleting all *.A1MAIN (which are un-used now)
--Re-Ran some registry utilities and did some manual editing
--copied the entire c: drive into c:\HP SaveC\ and d: into c:\HP SaveD\

--Life is almost good again!  

--Loaded Microsoft XP SP1 CD, .NET stuff, Microsoft IE6 SP1 CD, and re-installed utilities
--Loaded McAfee ASAP Service
--Re-booted and Now Life is good again ... for now
;D
--Seems quite peculiar that with lots of time and thought one is able to spoof the OS this simply ... I have attempted to list out the steps I used sequentially, but its likely that there will be uniqueness for most machines that may require something different along the way.

--Please DO NOT assume these steps will work exactly as outlined above for your configurations, and of course follow them at your own risk!! I will certainly NOT  accept any responsibility for anyone that chooses to follow the above instructions!!

robin