BIOS setting vs EC

Started by yun, February 13, 2013, 05:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yun

Hi guys,

I have a dumb question where i need to make myself clear.

Can anyone explain what is the difference between the BIOS setting (CMOS setting) and EC (Embedded Controller)? I am in confusion.

Thanks! ???

DaveLembke

BIOS/CMOS is related to holding configuration preferences such as what order to boot devices in, power back up after a power loss etc, and many other features which can include if supported advanced features like configuring a system to run over-clocked etc.

According to the EC from AMI, the Embedded Controller is a chip that handles multiple functions such as keyboard input via PS2 slots etc, battery life monitoring etc, and more can be read at the link below.

They are both 2 totally different things, so lots of differences.

http://www.ami.com/Products/BIOSandEFIFirmware/EmbeddedController/

Geek-9pm

Not a dumb question at all.
The BIOS is  really a program used to service the hardware.
A EC, embedded controller is a bit of hardware that does specific operations on an external device.
Example: PC. Upon power up, the BIOS program looks for the floppy drive by asking the controller to return the head ton the home  position. The on-board controller  itself monitors the limit switch and when it indicates the head is at home, it raises a flag that is read by the BIOS.
In the above you have BIOS working with an embedded controller.

It is possible to control a floppy drive, or even a hard drive, without a controller. But that is only done with minimal machine were low-cost is  more important that performance. An example is the Apple ][ with had no floppy controller.

yun

Thank you for explaining. This clears my confusion.
Thank again! ;D