Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Prepairing for a new computer  (Read 3477 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Prepairing for a new computer
    « on: September 14, 2016, 09:41:07 AM »
    After a too short working life my 2-in-1 Tablet now has an unrepairable SSD. The replacement, a Cube iWork Ultimate 10.1, is very similar to my dead Quantum View as I am sold on the hybrid form factor (excuse the jargon). But despite being at the low end of the market it is an upgrade in a number of respects (except the cameras) so I wondered if someone with experience could comment on what differences in performance, etc. I could experience, along with any dos and donts. I am going to have a lot to do so I want to be at least to some extent prepared.

The new 2-in-1 will be

dual boot with both Windows 10 and Android Lollipop installed --- when I first launch will I find updates installing themselves automatically, in particular Windows Anniversary and Android Marshmallow? I know this will depend on Settings, but is automatic update set as default? Or, has MS paused the update anyway? I have just seen a report saying many users may not get Anniversary until November

64 bit not 32 bit OS, with 4 GB instead of 2 GB RAM ---- I understand my 32 bit software will still work OK but I will not get the benefit of 64 bit until I start installing 64 bit apps / programs. Or is it correct I would need at least 6 GB before benefiting from 64 bt. What are the benefits? Are there disbenefits?

64 GB storage not 32 GB ---- a major factor in my buying decision, it is one of the few changes I understand quite well, in terms of storage I will no longer have a 'small device'

although it has USB 2 ports there is one micro port which is (claimed to be) USB 3 and USB C, but some users say it only has USB 2 charging power and data transfer performance. Some machines dont have USB C. There has been some confusion about this due partly to changes in specifications. Depending on the specs of the machine am I likely to be needing some different adapters/cables?

I must emphasise that I am not at all 'a power user' (or I would be buying a more highly specified machine) and despite years of experience (starting when the Sinclair Spectrum was launched!) my technical competance is very limited and dependant on the help generously given by this and other forums. Some comments on just one or two of the points above would be appreciated.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Prepairing for a new computer
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
    dual boot with both Windows 10 and Android Lollipop installed --- when I first launch will I find updates installing themselves automatically, in particular Windows Anniversary and Android Marshmallow? I know this will depend on Settings, but is automatic update set as default? Or, has MS paused the update anyway? I have just seen a report saying many users may not get Anniversary until November

For Windows 10 I have heard of some people having updates trigger when they dont want them to. Usually an update at the boot of a Windows computer is a finishing completion of an update that started at the shutdown in which instead of a restart instruction, they (Microsoft) program it use the next boot as the restart to complete the rest of the update, since no one wants to tell their computer to shutdown and come back to it rebooted when they tell it to shut down.

As far as Android Marshmellow with dual boot, I cant help with this. I use andyroid for playing ARM apps on my x64 CPU systems. http://www.andyroid.net/ and just run my native OS which is Windows 7 64-bit. And when I want to play a game that is ARM processor based that hasnt been ported for x86 or x64 I will just run Andyroid and play it through that.

As far as when Microsoft updates your system, Windows 10 is an odd duck in that if you missed a update opportunity, unlike prior versions of Windows where you can request it to update, they added a timer in the OS that handles updates as a scheduled event ( OR ) at least this is what was happening the last that I played with Windows 10. I took the free upgrade to 10 on one of my hard drives after first cloning my hard drive with 7. Then upgraded to 10, and then left the hard drive in my computer detached so that someday if and when I actually have a need for 10 such as software will only work with 10, I can switch drives and run 10. But other than that I am on Windows 7 for quite a while to come because I dont care for 10 and Windows 7 does everything I need without any issues.

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Prepairing for a new computer
      « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 07:22:49 AM »
      Thanks for your response. My new machine has not arrived yet, it is taking a long time but it helps to be gathering information in readiness. I am trying to make up mind whether, if I am presented with the option, I should choose not to download the Anniversary update until later, when I have become more familiar with the new machine I MS has eliminated more of the bugs.