Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hanging w/ xp and amd duron  (Read 6116 times)

Nolan K

hanging w/ xp and amd duron
« on: August 17, 2004, 08:14:55 AM »
I'm having a problem with my work computer (with the following: 256 mb RAM, amd duron 900 mhz, loaded w/ xp).  At any given time, and the variables seem to have no effect on this whatsoever, the system hangs and refuses to respond.  AMD has given me no help, and the local PC repair shops don't know what's going on.  If anyone could help, that would be much appreciated.

robertmillar

Re: hanging w/ xp and amd duron
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 08:56:42 AM »
Press ctrl, alt and del.  Click on the process tab and see if any processes are using a lot of cpu %.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 09:25:07 AM »
I assume you have taken the necessary actions;

Scanning for viruses, trojans and spyware?

What are your temperature settings at? Perhaps you have to thoroughly clean your fans and heatsinks.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 01:47:44 PM »
what does the events log say or use  dr watson to set up a log-file?more than likely temp problem....as raptor has stated^
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 01:49:22 PM by merlin_2 »

Vlada

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 07:53:53 AM »
I have same problem wth basically same configuration. Not that I've yet solved it but hare is what I tried...
System allways freezes in new games. Sometmes when I start 3 or more programs. When I play old games like Diablo 2, Bettlefeld or even Neverwinter Nights it's OK. But new games hang it in a blink. Hanging itself happens at random moments.  first suspected memory. I've run Memcheck on it whole night and memory is OK. I changed Video Card and same thing happens still. I cleaned Processor's cooler and fan with no result (except that I increased it's rpm rate from 5200 to 5450) But it has to do something with temperature cause when I turn it on first time during the day I have something like hour or so but after it freezes once, it happens allmost right after I lounch any newer game. Old ones are still playable though. So if it is temperature how comes that I can stll play old games. maybe it's the XP? I might try switching to some older OS....

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 08:48:56 AM »
Older games are less resource demanding. Newer games have better graphics, and thus, cause the processor to become more stressed then when you'd run a game like Diablo 2.

It could also be that you need to (better) maintain your computer. I suggest you run defrag, adaware scanner and other types of programs that are designed to maintain your computer at a regular basis.

Also see to it that the inside of the computer case is well maintained and no dust obstructing airflow.

Vlada

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 01:44:06 PM »
Hmm...I don't think that it might be spyware or any such thing. I have Kaspersky Antvirus, Kaspersky Antihacker, Pest Patrol and O&O Defrag wich I run weekly or after some deinstalation. I was contemplating today more about it and only thing that can be is Proc or motherboard. It is Chaintech crap afterall...

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 01:46:57 PM »
you have not mention how much ram have you got? and the graphics card make...?one of the best ways to run winxp is to use fat32....imho

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 03:46:07 PM »
    Nolan K....If you are running any programs like photoshop or any cad applications you may be pushing the Duron Processor to the limit.....or over time the pc has become all clogged up with all sorts of stuff. Remember a pc keeps everything. If you regularly run utilities like Ad-Aware and Spybot in addition to your anti virus and the interior of the pc has been cleaned out....( all the dust blown out) and the harddrive(s) have been regularly defragged.......then perhaps its time to consider doing a format of the machine to get it running smoothly again.  Have you kept up with all the XP upates ?
    Hope this is some help.
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 03:53:30 PM »
      Vlada.....If you regularly run games with your Duron.....you can expect lock ups......Todays games have so much going on at one time that the Duron simply hasn't the power to run them properly. If games are your thing you should consider building or buying a differant pc.   A P4 ....3.0 or 3.2 or a AMD 64 will do a much better job . Remember todays games demand lots of RAM and a good vid card .
      I do not think Win XP is your problem......its your hardware.
      Hope this helps you .

dl65  ???

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 03:54:42 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 05:01:17 AM »
      I'd suggest an Intel so that you are not bothered with lock-ups caused by heat.