Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I did it, now what?  (Read 5551 times)

Phillip

I did it, now what?
« on: August 21, 2004, 02:22:13 AM »
Here's the deal.  My nephew asked me to put together his new computer. Nothing fancy, 1.6ghz duron, 128mb of memory a 40 gig hd and a 52x cdrom.  I put everything together and and it seems to be slow to boot.  First it checks for the IDE dirves which takes about 2 minutes, then it checks dmi verify data......
Then it says: boot from cd:
Ive check the bios and the settings are good.  Ive checked the cables and every thing is good.  I placed the xp pro disk in the cdrom and windows started up and loaded, but after the computer reboots.  I get the same boot from cd: message.  Does any one have suggestions as to what I could be doing wrong? Is it a hardware prob?  Any help or tips would be great.

Raptor

Re: I did it, now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 03:29:50 AM »
You should set IDE 0 or 1 as the first boot device. It will boot faster and not check for the CD unless the harddrive fails to boot.

Phillip

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 07:54:56 AM »
I tried the following and I still get the same <boot from CD:> message followed by boot disk failure, insert sys disk and press enter.  Could the hd be bad?

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 08:45:37 AM »
Did you format the harddrive before attempting to install Windows?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »
winxp loves loads of ram...is your ides cables the wrong way round.........red stripe towards the power plug...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 01:51:08 PM by merlin_2 »

Phillip

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 07:25:37 PM »
Yes, I did format the hd before installing windows.  As for the cables, I'll recheck it.

chris48083

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 10:20:24 PM »
do you have your ribbon connectors set right.  The primary ribbon cable must go to the boot drive. the boot drive must be the master on that conection.

Phillip

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 11:17:44 PM »
Here's where I stand now.  Ive reset the Bios.  The boot drive is on IDE1 of the mainboard.  the cdrom is on IDE2. In the bios, boot sequence is hdd-1 , then cdrom. Ive checked the ribbon cables and they are seated well and connections are good.  I reformatted the hd and inserted win xp pro disk. windows loads up but when the computer reboots, I get <disk boot failure, plz insert sys dsk and press enter>.  I ve only put 2 computers together in the past and I have never encountered this sort of problem.  Im at a stand still on this....plz help

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 04:57:43 AM »
Is it a legal copy of Windows XP?

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 01:50:49 PM »

Psykedout

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 12:25:37 AM »
Thanks for the help.  Well I got everything working.  All I did was put the jumpers on the hd and cdrom to cable select instead of master. Seem to fix all my woes.  Thanks for the help fellas!!