Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this appropriate?  (Read 12687 times)

Dilbert

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Is this appropriate?
    « Reply #45 on: July 29, 2006, 02:57:28 AM »
    then why do they call it the big bang? if no bang was present im sure they would have called it something remotely related to the event. this is a way of putting their theory on life support, if the intial theory gets shot down, they simply claim it was a misconception and quickly come up with another similiar theory.

Originally it WAS thought of as an explosion, then the theory was revised.

im confused. what dont you get about that statement? the bible CLEARLY states "in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." and in GEN 1:6 "let there be an expanse between the waters to seperate the water from water." so with respect to GEN 1:6 and GEN 1:1, the earths surface, once created, was completely covered in water.

I wasn't referring to that passage, but you are correct.

have a read. http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c007.html. radioactive dating is proven to be inaccurate.

Interesting...
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2006, 02:58:45 AM »
      The Bible was written by men, not God. Correct?

True. It is the belief of Jews Christians and all variants of these faiths that the Bible's writing was inspired by God. Again, that's for you to decide, not me.

Dilbert

• Egghead

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2006, 02:59:47 AM »
        I really don't see any reason why the bible can't be taken literally. Although it's not written as a scientific book what is written has been scientifically scrutinised for a very long time. There are many qualified scientists that accept it and many that reject what it says.

It appears that the biggest factor in the argument is the bias of the people arguing. Everyone is biased. Which bias is the best bias is the question.

The fossil record is a major embarassment to evolutionists but supports the creation theory. There is also much geological evidence to show a young age for the earth- not the billions of years required for evolution to take place, if it were possible.

However if you start by disbelieving in the possibility of God's existence (not a very scientific approach to seeking the truth) then the evidence will be interpreted differently.

Going back to a previous point in this thread about why other religions seem to be more readily accepted than Christianity, I believe it's all about the name and person of Jesus Christ. He made some very confronting claims and statements. As a well known author once stated Jesus is either:
         a) a liar,
         b) a lunatic, or
         c) is who he says he is - Lord.

Our bias is a result of which one we choose.

Quite an astute observation. I agree wholeheartedly. :)

Neil

Expert
        • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
          « Reply #48 on: July 29, 2006, 03:28:34 AM »
          http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/Exobiology/miller.html

Some information and critizism of the experimen johnchain spoke of.

johnchain

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2006, 09:52:23 AM »
          have a read. http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c007.html. radioactive dating is proven to be inaccurate.

Your source for scientific fact is on a website specifically designed for Christians who might be losing their faith?  ::)

Well let's look at the differences between a Christian source and an unbiased source (for educational purposes only, I don't want to start anything here)

In, http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c007.html, the first half is dedicated to showing how Carbon Dating works and how it is inaccurate. Why? Because it is the least accurate of all scientific dating methods  :o, with a half life of a little less that 6000 years, it can only measure recent things and C02 in the air could have affected this as well. Strange they didn't do as much depth on the other methods which are now more commonly used? Proceding....

They get into other methods and its inaccuracies...Who really wants to spend half of their life learning about radio active dating and carbon stronnium mumbo jumbo.....That's alright....Christian answers saves you some time and eases your pain....

The isotope concentrations can be measured very accurately, but isotope concentrations are not dates. To derive ages from such measurements, unprovable assumptions have to be made such as:

1. The starting conditions are known (for example, that there was no daughter isotope present at the start, or that we know how much was there).

2. Decay rates have always been constant.

3. Systems were closed or isolated so that no parent or daughter isotopes were lost or added.

Or you can read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiometric_dating (A reliable encyclopedia for those of you who aren't aware)

Let's start with number 2...

You're right, decay rates have not been constant (but for what  :-?)? Our favorite buddy carbon!! Carbon can be affected by conditions to change decay times. And according to wikipedia

The decay rate is not always constant for electron capture, as occurs in nuclides such as 7Be, 85Sr, and 89Zr. For this type of decay, the decay rate may be affected by local electron density. These isotopes are not used, however, for radiometric dating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_life.......Nobody is assuming decay rates are constant, if an atom has it's decay rate proven and shows that it cannot be affected by anything in the natural universe, it's decay rate is constant, and it even said above that we can get the concentrations accurately. But of course statement nubmer two is valid because it refers to an undisclosed amount of inaccurate methods. So it is true, but not for everything..

For number 1?
          Rubidium-strontium dating is based on the beta decay of rubidium-87 to strontium-87, with a half-life of 50 billion years. This scheme is used to date old igneous and metamorphic rocks, and has also been used to date lunar samples.

50 billion years? If it was proven that that is the half life....I'm pretty sure that whether we know or not what was there, we know that witht he concentration that exists....most likely the sample found was at least one half life (already a little far back), and even without one half life, it's concentration before decaying one half life can accurately be determined (otherwise why would we use something that dates 50 billion years when the current theory is that earth is 4 billion?)

And number 3....an atom decays on it's own....and that is what is measured.....number 3 is an assumption taken, yet not involving the decay of a radioactive isotope.

Sorry this is sloppy, I was in a rush.....

Here is a scientifically biased source if u want to compare http://www.gate.net/~rwms/AgeEarth.html

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
            « Reply #50 on: July 29, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »
            The Bible was written by men, not God. Correct?

True. It is the belief of Jews Christians and all variants of these faiths that the Bible's writing was inspired by God. Again, that's for you to decide, not me.

This is going to get me in trouble, becasue it's going to sound like disrepect, but that's not my intent here... however:

I equate belief in God with belief in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster. The evidence exists, without exception, solely in the writings and legends passed down throughout the years by mortals. This is not to say that Bigfoot and Nessie do not exist, but any belief in them is indisputably based only on inference, interpretation and the stories passed down by ancients.

Jesus was a man who believed He was the son of God. He may have been a liar or a lunatic, yes, but he may have also just been wrong. I have friends who believe they're psychic, or that they have a sixth sense of some kind, and I wouldn't classify them as lunatics or as having any sinister intentions whatsoever - I think they're just misinterpreting what their other senses are telling them. Humans are famous for that.

Somebody once said that if God didn't exist, it would have been necessary for man to create Him. And that's exactly what every society in every period of history has always done. In the west, God as depicted in the Bible is the popular flavor, and Jesus is believed to be his son because 2000 years ago a group of people believed what he said and decided to write it down.

The Bible is not a holy relic. It is one of many books, written throughout history, by men who believed what they said and who had a singularity of purpose in convincing the rest of the world of what they believed.

Which is fine. But I don't buy it.
            There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2006, 01:29:37 PM »
              People , People , People , it would appear that we are a way off topic here .......  this particular thread  appears to have turned into something other than "Other" issues refering to computers ..........

So with that in mind , I shall take it upon myself to Close this thread .
              I would suggest , that if the posters wish to continue the topic , that they do so elsewhere , on a website devoted to religous discussions .

[size=24]This topic is closed[/size]
              « Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:32:05 PM by dl65 »
              If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.