Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Booted from games, even emulators  (Read 44004 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Booted from games, even emulators
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2007, 08:21:02 PM »
Before you go drastic with a reformat ( you will lose all your data )...i just thought it may be hardware related.
You could try a new modem... probably less than 20 bucks and see if it solves the issue.
Just un-install the old one , slap the new one in, install the drivers and see what happens.
Just a thought.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Don't feel bad...I'm lost too.
    « Reply #61 on: September 21, 2007, 09:28:51 PM »
    No, it's already been reformatted, twice in one week. I did a lot of installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, validating WXP, reformating and rereformatting WXP, loading unloading and reloading Java, updating both Java and IE6, and loading AOL and Unloading AOL a few times, all in the span of about two weeks. Also had the 120+ RAM added. But some of this happened after the bootings started.

I have to say again, I didn't have this problem before I validated Windows and had the reformating. Could the techs have left out something? Just reaching at straws. I don't want to lose my girl here.

If you say, "I can", you're right. If you say, "I can't", you're also right.

Comp Guy

Apprentice

• All that is needed
      « Reply #62 on: September 21, 2007, 11:21:45 PM »
      ^, are you saying when the computer is reformated, the first program you load should be security suites?
      Well they should probably be included in the first. It is quite easy to get viruses on your computer if you have no protection.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #63 on: September 22, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »
        Before you go drastic with a reformat ( you will lose all your data )

I know about the loss of info...that's why I feel that something that was allowing this machine to play games before the reformat is not on here now.  Or maybe as was said yesterday, it could be a battery problem. And that's why I'm asking for help from learned comp addicts :) about any tools that aid in gameplay. Especially since the Ems boot me from My Documents.  You see when I got the emails they were email as attachments. the ems and the games. So they were downloaded from my mailroom and the mailroom is backed up on AOL. Before the reformat all I did was download the games and play them. Now I have to go into the directories and reset the saves and stuff because it just wasn't saving. I just this morning was told how to reset the saves. Will test it later.

One other thing, While the em will stay open only about 10 mins. or so offline; I am able to play some games like a mahjong or a jigsaw puzzle game for more than thirty minutes online. 

...i just
        thought it may be hardware related.
        You could try a new modem... probably less than 20 bucks and see if it solves the issue.
        Just un-install the old one , slap the new one in, install the drivers and see what happens.
        Just a thought.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #64 on: September 24, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »
          I feel like we're moving closer to resolution. Okay two new things: First, I played an emulator in safe mode and it played until I stopped it, maybe an hour and ten minutes or so later. In reg. mode it runs about ten minutes.

Also, can you tell anything by the following?

AT+FCLASS=?
          AT#CLS=?
          AT+GCI =?
          AT+GCI=?
          AT13= LTV.92 DATA+FAX MODEM VERSION8.28

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #65 on: September 25, 2007, 03:52:06 PM »
          I said all along i suspected the modem as the culprit...

But Here you will find all the info you should need on the AT command set...

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2007, 07:44:04 PM »
            I said all along i suspected the modem as the culprit...

Yup.
            Since this is a somewhat clean copy of Windows, the fact that the computer only works on safe mode means that the problem could only come from the modem.. in most cases.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
              « Reply #67 on: September 25, 2007, 08:13:05 PM »
              Okay guys, if we had collectively worked together and come up with the modem, what is my next step?

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 05:21:58 AM »
                Okay guys, if we had collectively worked together and come up with the modem, what is my next step?

Getting a new PC... as replacing it would either be impossible or far too expensive.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 07:37:34 AM »
                Borrow a working modem and swap it in there to see...if everything works fine then replace the modem.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                  « Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 01:47:06 PM »
                  Patio, you say "borrow a modem". Is that to say they are interchangable or borrow one compatible? In that case I don't know anything about the modem other than it's Lucent Win.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 06:18:07 PM »
                  Modems are interchangeable...if this is an internal modem they are probably cheap enough to just replace.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
                    « Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 06:51:49 PM »
                    Okay. It is.

Jess607

Hopeful

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »
                      Modems are interchangeable...if this is an internal modem they are probably cheap enough to just replace.

Where do you expect this find a 56 Kbps modem?

linuxlover

Hopeful
                      • That's not Data!
                        « Reply #74 on: September 26, 2007, 09:08:40 PM »
                        First of all, I would have reformatted my drive by now and installed vector linux or something. Secondly, Don't expect fast games (or any at all) from a dial-up connection. It's like trying to fit an elephant into a straw, not gonna happen. The PC is rather old but some games should work. Maybe it's RAM, maybe it's OS, maybe you need to get DSL or cable (I realize you might be on a budget but these are the facts.), or maybe you need to ditch IE and get firefox.
                        System Specs:
                        AMD Athlon 64 3200+
                        1024MB DDR400
                        GeForce 7600GS
                        160GB SATA II
                        500-watt PSU
                        Techforumz.tk