Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Torrent File BAsics  (Read 12449 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Torrent File BAsics
    « on: June 07, 2008, 07:22:45 AM »
    Okay I downloaded an episode of a show I really want the thing is its not any video format I know of.  How do you play or open torrents?  I tried WMP but it didnt work
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Torrent File BAsics
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:25:06 AM »
    Torrents? a .torrent file?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 09:12:44 AM »
      Yeah that the extension
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 04:28:11 PM »
      Brief explanation of torrents:

a .torrent file does not contain the data that you are trying to get. It contains information about the file, and information about what servers you will be downloading from...

In order to open a .torrent file, you need a torrent application. A small lightweight Torrent program called uTorrent is one of the best, in my opinion.

Download uTorrent here:
      http://utorrent.com/

Once you have downloaded and run uTorrent, you should be able to doubleclick the .torrent file, and it should open. If not, open uTorrent, click File > "Add Torrent" and find the torrent file.

Not all torrents are fast though, some are extremely slow.

You may want to check out the FAQ for uTorrent:
      http://utorrent.com/faq.php

and guides for how to torrent:
      http://utorrent.com/guides.php

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »
        Thanks this should be useful

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 07:25:16 PM »
        what are torrents?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 07:38:45 PM »
          .torrent file does not contain the data that you are trying to get. It contains information about the file, and information about what servers you will be downloading from...

That help?

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:42:23 PM »
          I guess

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 08:03:47 PM »
          I thought it was something else

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
          Okay, well, let me just take everything I said back...

(Image from: http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/script-ed/images/torrent-figure2.png )
          This is a traditional server. (The one in the middle)
          A traditional server has one internet connection, and serves up the computers with the requested files through that one connection.
          Cons of this:
          Well, one is obvious: You can really overload a connection by doing that.
          Say the server has a 100MBPS connection, and you have 400 people downloading one 1GB file off of the server. The server can only provide those 400 people with a 250KBPS connection speed.

One pro:
          If you dont have an overloaded connection, you are 100% sure to be able to serve the file, no matter what.

Its like a waitress in a restaurant. How many customers are there? Can the waitress handle the amount of customers? Is it going to take longer for a waitress to serve 100 customers, as compared to 10? Of course it is.

(Image source: http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/script-ed/images/torrent-figure1.png )
          This is a picture of a torrent "network".

Whats going on here?
          See the server? Its handling something completely different.
          See the computers? They are giving information to other computers.

The server is holding a list of computers. Each of those computers has a part of the file you want.

Your computer queries the server for a list of all the computers that have parts of the file you want, and gets the other computers IP addresses in return. Your computer starts getting information from all those other computers, they are passing information to you.

Along with you getting information, your computer will start sending out parts of the file to other people. Its very community based.

(Source: http://www.technologyevangelist.com/images/torrentbrokenup.gif )

If you could take a torrent file and the data you are getting, and lay it out flat, it would look kind of like this.
          The lines on the top bar represent the amount of downloaded data. You are receiving different parts of the file from other computers. One computer might be sending one part, another another part..
          It sounds complex, but, once you start using Torrents, it makes sense easily.

Caution:
          Check with your ISP before using torrents heavily.
          Some ISP's consider torrents abuse, and will slow down your connection for using Torrents and other P2P like applications. If your ISP is like mine, you might be charged extra for going over a certain bandwidth each month. (Torrents can take up a lot of monthly data transfer, known as bandwidth.)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »
          This is why it's hard to arrest people for downloading stuff like movies and games because you are actually downloading different parts of the file from everywhere in the world.

That's what i've heard, don't know if it's accurate or not.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
          « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 11:25:42 PM »
          Personally, I use torrenting for downloading Linux when I need to burn a new updated disc, or get  a different version. I dont really download music (I did get a CD for my mom) or videos through it.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 11:27:01 PM »
          I used to download a lot but now that all my friends have Halo PC, I need good internet.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 11:28:58 PM »
          This is why it's hard to arrest people for downloading stuff like movies
          That's true, but some files may include trackers.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 03:32:49 AM »
            Its not that I'm tring to illagely do this but it wasnt on youtube an google was only pulling these up.  :(