Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows ME will not start  (Read 8080 times)

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows ME will not start
    « on: December 07, 2008, 07:25:41 PM »
    I'm new, forgive me....Windows ME  will not start. At start up the computer goes from the ME screen to a black and white screen that states, "Please wait while setup updates your configuration files.....Windows could not upgrade the file%1 from %2.....Windows could not upgrade one or more system files before starting....If Windows files to start, run setup again". I've inserted a ME emergency start up disk and from the help screen I used the DOS command, scandisk/all, then scanreg/restore. From restore the dialog stated there was no backup file. I also booted from a Norton SystemsWorks cd, which did a 6 hr. scan, with no result. The files (my stuff) still seems to be on the hard drive I just can't get Windows to start. Thanks for any help.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Windows ME will not start
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
    If Windows fails to start, run setup again"

have you tried pushing enter after this message is displayed to continue booting?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
      Yes. The %1 from %2...line repeats over and over down the screen until I Ctrl, Alt, Delete.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 08:47:45 PM »
      try Ctrl+break key combination.

Also, do you have the windows CD?

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:16 PM »
        Ctrl+break did not work.
        I have a "Reinstallation CD WME" (Dell)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »
        ok; is there any important data you need to recover off the drive?

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 05:59:21 PM »
          Yes, I hoped not to lose it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
          Alright then, reinstallation is out of the question right now, until we can eliminate all other possibilities.

can you start in safe mode?

press F8 right as windows begins to boot.

do you know what program you had installed before shutting down the computer before this happened?

Don't worry, I'm sure we can find a way to fix your computer without losing your data.

One way to get access to your files would be to use a Linux Live CD. This would involve downloading a CD image, burning it to disc, and then booting your malfunctioning computer with it. This will allow you copy any important files to a flash drive or other external storage solution.

Ideally, we'll be able to get your computer booting, though.

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:21:31 PM »
            Thanks.
            I can't start in safe mode. The Linux Live CD sounds good. Where is the download availible?

Yes, the computer up and running would be great.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 04:08:57 PM »
            You'll need a CD-R or RW, of course, as well as something to backup your data that you wish to save. I recommend a Flash Drive(you can get pretty big ones for cheap; around 30 dollars), but if your files are small and you only have a few, you can get away with using floppy drives.

a Ubuntu Live CD is what I use when I'm having boot problems:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

It's a pretty hefty download, if I recall, but once you burn it to CD, you've got a backup plan for years to come ;)

I imagine you would need the 32-bit version since there is no 64-bit ME.

The plan would be to try to copy your data from the HD to another media; flash drive, for example.

Unfortunately you cannot burn a CD when your running from the CD, unless of course you have two optical drives.

If your having trouble booting from the Live CD(you probably won't have problems, but just in case)-

First, make sure that your computer is set to boot to the CD-ROM drive first; this is done by accessing the CMOS screen. CH has a document outlining how to get into the CMOS setup, in case you need it: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm.

If your sure of the boot-order, then we have to turn and blame the disc; try burning another disc, and if necessary download the CD again.

Anyway- once you get Ubuntu started, you can plug in your USB drive; after some handshaking, Ubuntu should show a new icon on the desktop representing the flash drive.

first you'll need to navigate to your hard drive, find the files you want to keep; then copy them to the flash drive. the mechanics are pretty similar to windows (copy, paste, etc).

If you're lucky- the live CD will be able to recognize your network card and you'll be able to access the internet from the computer as well- again, depending on the files you are trying to save, you could E-mail them to yourself, if you don't have a flash drive.

Good luck, any more help and I will of course be here :)

EDIT: just checked to be sure- I had problems finding it myself- to access your HD, you'll select "places->computer".

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:12:59 PM »
              Unbelievable!  The Ubuntu worked like magic! I have been saving files to a removable disk. I kind of thought I would not be able to.

Thank you for your help, you’ve been very kind. I probably have a dozen (at least) questions to ask. My work schedule is crazy right now and I am trying to do all this in a few minuets each night.

Also this is the first time I’ve used a forum of any kind and am unsure of the proper etiquette.

I assume the next step is to reinstall Windows. Although I really think I like this new operating system and wonder if it could take the place of Windows? I am most impressed that Ubuntu allowed me to connect to the internet with absolutely no problem.

All I can say is Thank you again, and hope to communicate further. Very cool, much thanks.

JJ 3000

Egghead
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »
              You can install Ubuntu if you want to. There should be an icon on the desktop that says:"install". Ubuntu is one of the most popular versions of Linux out there today. It takes a bit of getting used to, but the more you use it the more you will like it. The only drawback is that a lot of new software wont be compatible with your new operating system. There are a lot of Linux alternatives though.

Windows ME is, sometimes, referred to as the "Mistake Edition". I've heard a lot of bad things about it.  If you want to, you can reinstall it, as long as you have the CD.
              Save a Life!
              Adopt a homeless pet.
              http://www.petfinder.com/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »
              Unbelievable!  The Ubuntu worked like magic! I have been saving files to a removable disk. I kind of thought I would not be able to.

Thank you for your help, you’ve been very kind. I probably have a dozen (at least) questions to ask. My work schedule is crazy right now and I am trying to do all this in a few minuets each night.

Also this is the first time I’ve used a forum of any kind and am unsure of the proper etiquette.

I assume the next step is to reinstall Windows. Although I really think I like this new operating system and wonder if it could take the place of Windows? I am most impressed that Ubuntu allowed me to connect to the internet with absolutely no problem.

All I can say is Thank you again, and hope to communicate further. Very cool, much thanks.

Awesome!  ;) good to hear! You can, as JJ said, install Ubuntu onto your drive; you could even set it up to boot alongside windows, if you wanted to; you would first format your drive, install windows, and then boot from the Ubuntu CD again; this time, instead of selecting to run Ubuntu without making any changes to your computer, you can opt to Install Ubuntu. It will then allow you to resize your hard drive and make a few partitions for you; (sorry, I have only done it once, so my details are a bit vague).

It will install a boot loader, allowing you to select the OS to start when the computer is started.

The only thing stopping me from using it is that I'd have to reformat my entire drive to get Ubuntu and windows side by side (my HD is too big for the boot loader or something- 500GB).

I use it mostly for recovery tasks as you've done here; I plan to grab one of my spare HDs and install it so I can dual-boot without problems between Ubuntu and XP, since Ubuntu is so much nicer to look at then the Windows Recovery console.

as far as software compatibility, I'm not sure if it's a separate OS or what, but there is something called WINE that can run windows programs; sketchy on the details, though (having never had to use it).

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 07:07:42 PM »
                Thanks guys, I'll give it a go. With your help I'm impressing myself with all this success. Hope I did'nt jinx it. It may have to wait till the weekend, but I will post results asap.

oldman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 08:34:29 AM »
                  I think the jinx is in.....I started the windows setup from my reinstall disk...format was recommended....ERROR....Windows setup cannot install....an error was detected while formatting your primary hard disk....

ok, I got a DOS prompt from the CD and typed "setup" Windows ME setup started.

The issue now is, is there in fact an error on the HD that I should somehow try to repair, (possible original problem?), or allow setup to continue?

This is where the smell of smoke and disaster usually comes when I try to fix something.

So...I will now try to format using fdisk from DOS if I can get there.

Ultimately I would like to try to install both Windows and Ubuntu.....But I get way ahead of myself.....